Poinsettias are the most popular houseplants for Christmas in the…
Determine the size of the lawn that needs overseeding. Overseed fescue lawn at a rate of 4-6 pounds per 1000 square feet. Visit our grass seed calculator to determine the quantity of seed needed.
Choose a quality grass seed such as Gard’n-wise Premium Fescue blend. Cheap seed often contains weed and other crop seed that is difficult or impossible to remove without damaging your new lawn.
Use Ferti-lome New Lawn Starter when seeding. Starter fertilizer will make new grass healthier and establish faster.
Apply Natural Guard HuMic Granular Humic Acid to increase the microbial activity in the soil. Microbes aid in converting fertilizer into food for the new grass. Healthy soil makes healthy plants.
Rent a verticutter/seeder and fertilizer spreader. Unless grass seed is lightly incorporated into the ground, a low percentage of seed will come up. The best way to accomplish this is by using a verticutter to cut shallow grooves into your lawn, creating a seedbed.
1. Mow your lawn to 1.5” tall.
2. Mark all sprinkler heads to avoid damage from the verticutter.
3. Verticut the lawn in one direction, then go over the area again at a 45-degree angle. Remove the debris with a rake or mower with a bag attachment.
4. Broadcast seed over the entire lawn. Start with the spreader set at a low setting. Go over the area until the seed is gone.
5. Broadcast New Lawn Starter and then the HuMic at the labeled rate.
6. Keep the seed moist until the grass is well established. This is best done with frequent, short waterings. If the new seed is allowed to dry out, it will die.
7. Mow cool-season grass after it has reached a height of 3 inches. Set the mower to a height of 2 inches. As the grass matures, raise the mowing height to 3 inches.
8. After the grass has been growing for 30 days, apply Ferti-lome Winterizer to help establish a strong root system.