Lawn Contact Tree Top to get a quote for lawn maintenance.…
October Garden Calendar
- Apply Ferti-lome Winterizer to newly planted cool-season lawns 30 days after planting. Mow newly planted cool-season lawns to 2″-2.5″ after it reaches 3″ tall.
- To prevent freeze damage to your irrigation system, contact Tree Top to schedule a winterization.
- Plant spring bulb, up to the time the ground freezes. Use bone meal or bulb food when planting.
- Before bringing house plants that have been kept outdoors inside for the summer indoors, spray with insecticidal soap to remove any pests.
Tree and Shrub
- Fertilize trees and shrubs with Ferti-lome Tree and Shrub Food in October or November.
- In the fall, the inner needles of pine trees may begin to turn color and fall off. This is normal; it is the growth that is 3-4 years old dropping off.
- Wrap the trunks of newly planted maples with tree wrap during the winter months to prevent sunscald. Sun-scald occurs in the winter when the sun heats the bark on the southwest side of a tree, causing the tissue to break dormancy. When the sun goes down, the bark freezes again, causing tissue damage. In the spring, you will notice dead, hollow areas underneath the bark.
- Give plants a thorough watering in the fall, so the soil is moist when it freezes. Mulching the ground around plants reduces soil freezing and makes it easier for roots to continue functioning in cold weather. Also, if it is a dry season, soak all plants and trees before hard freezes.
Print this page